Today the main concern of health-conscious consumers is the use of harmful ingredients in products of everyday use. Parabens and SLS are two of such miscreants. They are said to be extremely harmful. Let’s get talking on what they are and why they’re considered such troublemakers.
Paraben is one of the preservatives used in cosmetics. They are extremely important for maintaining the shelf life of a product. Most of the ingredients used in shampoos and most other cosmetics are prone to decomposition if not spiked with preservatives. Parabens have antibacterial and antifungal properties, which prevent fast decomposition. Parabens are not just man-made chemicals. Soy, Cucumber, Carrot, Berries, Cherries, Olives, Strawberries are some of the known natural sources of Paraben.
Reasons for avoiding Parabens
- Pseudo-Estrogen effects: There is evidence that parabens can act like estrogen, which can lead to breast cancer and early puberty in girls.
- Ageing:It is known to increase skin’s sensitivity to sunlight and UV rays. So, upon exposure to UV rays, skin cells die at a much faster rate
- Male Reproductive effects: It has been known to cause low sperm count and decreased testosterone levels in men.
- Endocrine system effects: Parabens are known to have disruptive effects on the endocrine system, resulting in interference in hormone production and activity. This may cause Immune disorders, disruptive growth, carcinogenic effects and reproductive disorders.
Sodium-Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
SLS are like detergents and are capable of dissolving oils. For these reasons, they are used in many industrial applications. The same ingredients that are used for doing laundry or cleaning the garage floor are used for cleansing of your skin and hair. Along with the dust and dead cells, it also washes away the natural oils of the skin and splits hair of their oils as well. They can also cause skin and eye irritation.
Reasons for avoiding SLS
- It is a known skin irritant: It can cause dandruff, dermatitis, canker sores, etc
- It has Corrosive Properties, this is the reason it is been used in cleaning Garages, Engines and Cars.
- It is used as a Pesticide and Herbicide. It is commonly used to kill germs and insects. Recently a petition to use SLS as a pesticide in organic farming was rejected because it is an environmental pollutant.
- It Emits Toxic Fumes when exposed to heat that means it wouldn’t be good to experience hot water shower With A Product Having SLS.
- It’s an eye irritant: It can cause cataracts and conjunctivitis.
- Skin and Hair: Sulphates are known to dry the hair and skin and split them of their covering layers.
Due to such effects of these chemicals, it is Advisable to go for products free of Parabens and SLS. Most organic products are free of these, shortening their shelf life and causing lesser frothing but making them safer and healthier to use.